Capshaw

Thursday, March 25, 2010

FRIENDSHIP AT FIVE!


Well, as five year old girls do...Kate insisted that she didn't wear socks with her tenny's to school yesterday and although I was okay with it, I told her to put those socks in her backpack so that when her ankles had blisters, she would have those socks to put on. As you know it, we pulled in the parking lot and got out to walk in and she says, "mommy, my feet hurt," to which I answered, "well, did you put those socks in your backpack?" OOOPS MOMMY....no I forgot to put them in as I was too busy watching Arthur!!! I told Kate I was sure sorry, but that I had told her to put those socks in her backpack and I didn't know what to do about it.

That afternoon when I picked her up, sure enough she had on a pair of socks with those shoes and I asked her where she got them. She told me they were Hillary's socks. Hillary and Kate just hit it off this year and love each other so much! You see, Hillary had always been home with her mom until this year and actually she is just four. This was her first year to be away from home all day long and you can only imagine how hard that is after being home with mommy for the last four years. Hillary's grandmother is the Elementary Counselor and has told me time and time again that she just didn't know what she would do next year when Kate goes off to Kindergarten while Hillary would be staying in Pre-K for one more year. She even asked me if I could just hold Kate back a year. We both laughed. Anyway, on to the story....I found out the following day when I had to walk students over from the middle to the elementary school that in fact Hillary took her socks off of her feet that she was wearing at the time only to give them to Kate. Hillary knew Kate's feet really hurt and she wanted to help! As Glenda, Hillary's grandmother, told me this she had tears streaming down her face. She just couldn't believe that they did that all themselves, that Hillary took her socks off for Kate and that Kate was happily willing to put the worn socks on of Hillary's....possibly sweaty and all. Now, that is the friendship of five-year-olds! If only I could be more that way!

No comments: